Hooray for long Holidays! Upon knowing that there’s a long weekend ahead last October 2017, we thought of spending it in Siargao Islands. We stayed for 2 nights and 3 days in Siargao, but we still can’t get enough of the place, as the locals say “Once you’ve spent just a day, you really want to stay there and never leave”. Siargao is known for its captivating waves that most foreign and local surfers attempt to ride on. It is also a serene space to unwind and explore the sprawling sparkling seas around the island, which is why this is tagged by most tourists as a laid-back place.
Most of our trips are DIY, we prefer it that way so we can have the privilege of deciding what to do with our time. Sometimes we read blogs, search in the internet and ask friends what to ride and places to go in Siargao, as our guide and later plan our itinerary very well. So here it goes.
HOW TO GET TO SIARGAO
There are only three direct flights going to Siargao, it’s only from Davao, Cebu and Manila where you can fly through Sky Jet Airlines, PAL (Philippine Airlines) and CebPac (Cebu Pacific Airlines).
Option 2: You can fly also to Butuan City, then head on to Surigao City via bus and from there, take the ferry going to Dapa (Siargao).
By Land from Mindanao
Philippine Airlines has a Direct flight to Siargao from Davao City
Flight Schedules are: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday
DVO to IAO – 7:00AM – 8:15AM
IAO to DVO – 8:45AM – 10:00AM
You can ride a bus from Davao to Butuan or directly to Surigao City at Ecoland Terminal in Davao City. There are many buses you can board for the Davao-Butuan route such as the Bachelor Express or Metro Shuttle, but only few going directly up to Surigao City. In going to Butuan, be sure to drop off at their terminal then ride a bus again going to Surigao City and take the ferry to Dapa (Siargao)
WHERE TO STAY
We recommend to check these places out, price ranges from P1,500.00 to P3,000.00:
OCEAN 101 CLOUD 9 SURF RESORT
Contact: +639108480893 | +639198268837 http://www.ocean101cloud9.com/accomodation.html
LA LUNA ISLAND RESORT
Contact No. +639107521262 | +639278245581 http://lalunaislandresort.com
KERMIT SURF RESORT
Contact No. +639176550548 https://www.kermitsiargao.com
Contact No. +639183312008 http://arkahayahaysiargao.com
Other Option is AirBnb! On our stay, we booked at the PAYAG SUITES located at the Municipality of General Luna, specifically in Tourism Road. Please check it out: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/19398820 We highly recommend this place, it’s safe and the location is very convenient. You can also cook and eat meals inside your room since they have installed a cooking stove and kitchen utensils inside.
WHERE TO EAT
- MAMA’S GRILL. If you have a thing for BBQ, this place will answer your cravings and satisfy your taste buds, did I just say it’s cheap? Yes! It won’t cost you too much for a good meal. They only grill at night so be sure to be early or the place will be swarming with guests and tourists. I recommend for a take-out and eat it in your place over-viewing the sounding waves.
- ARKA HAYAHAY. If you’re trying to fill your tummy for a heavy meal, you might wanna check this place out. Though it’s a bit expensive but you won’t be disappointed by the food. Try their wraps and burger, they have fries on the sides which is very good!
- KERMIT. This place has the best pizza on town! Please don’t miss out this place, you can make your own pizza too. They also offer buy-one-take-one cocktails.
- BRAVO. If you’re a Vegan, their menu packs a very good vegetarian dishes. The place is also ideal for your Instagram for an IG-rific posts and its homey and cozy ambiance.
- HARANA. If you have a palate for locale Filipino dishes, their menu will please your taste buds.
WHERE TO GO
- MAPUPUNGKO BEACH. You can get here by land, it takes more or less 40 mins form Dapa. It has a lot of rock pools filled with clear waters when its low tide. It’s best if you go in the early morning and/or afternoon. We weren’t able to witness it at its grandest beauty since we arrive there at dusk already.
- ISLAND HOPPING. (GUYAM, DAKU AND NAKED ISLAND) The locals can arrange an island hopping tour for you, you can ask assistance for your hotel hosts and they can willingly help you with it. The usual destinations would be these three majestic islands which could be toured half-day. These islands are perfect for taking pictures and videos.
- BUCAS GRANDE TOUR. (SOHOTON COVE) If you avail an island hopping tour, this is mostly part of the package. However, you will have to pay other (entrance and environmental) fees once you drop off at the Bucas Grande. This Bucas Grande/Sohoton Cove is situated in the Municipality of Socorro, still a part of the Siargao Islands. Fees are only minimal since it is handled by their LGU (Local Government Unit), meaning that it is only for the maintenance of the area and as well as for the mobilization of its LGU Tourism staff. There is a small restaurant at the docking/registration area where you can buy fresh sea foods for your lunch before or after the tour. On the tour, you can do boating on a jellyfish sanctuary, and you will be entering a group of islets forming a circle where there is only a sole entrance and exit point, inside it were underground caves and diving spots you can try on.
- Bus (AC) Tagum City – Butuan City = P250.00/Pax
- Bus (AC) Butuan City – Surigao City = P150.00/Pax
- Economy (Non-Air) = P250.00/pax
- Business (Aircon) = P300.00/pax
- Executive (Aircon) = P325.00/pax
- Tricycle – P150.00 (to General Luna from Dapa Port)
- Motorcycle (rent) – P250/day
- (1st day) Lunch at ARKA HAYAHAY – Chicken Wraps and Chicken Curry
- (1st day) Dinner at MAMA’S GRILL – Chicken (pecho), Pork bbq (3pcs), Isaw (2pcs) and a hotdog.
- (2nd day) Brunch – Hot & Spicy Shrimp, Pancit Canton and 3 cups of rice. =
- (2nd day) Dinner at ARKA HAYAHAY – Chicken Wraps & Burger with Potato Fries
- (3rd day) Breakfast at MAMA’S GRILL – Chicken (pecho), Isaw (2pcs) and Hotdog
TOTAL COST = 2, 500.00 (For the love of food)
- Payag Suites, General Luna Municipality
Beachfront Level 2 – Php. 1, 686.50 / day (including service fee and cleaning fee)
You can also contact the Host directly – Atty. John – 0917-703-7001
- Island Hopping (Guyam, Daku and Naked Islands) – Php 1, 500.00 For two pax
- Bucas Grande – Sohoton Cove – Php 2, 000.00
We managed to haggle for both tours for P2, 500.00 that took only one-day, we jumped off at 4am in the morning.
- Be beach ready! Make your skin and eyes are protected with sunscreen and sunglasses, to get that light sun-kissed skin tone.
- Ready, Set, Pic! Bring the right tools such as action cameras and dry-packs, to have no worries in taking perfect shots during the tour.
- Thrift trip! Be sure to be thrifty, book your tour ahead of your trip to avoid overpriced offers and hassle free. Hotels have their own packages for the island tours. These are the local contacts during our stay.
Kuya Jun – 0947-222-2304 for transportation from Dapa or Airport, you can also rent a scooter for Php500/day and book an island tour from him.
- Be green minded! Let’s be responsible tourist and help Mother Nature’s wonder creations be protected and preserved. Throw your trash properly, definitely not on the shore, for the place to be a clean and eco-friendly one. Just a green reminder guys! 🙂